November 05, 2010

A festivus for the rest of us...

Ahh Fest. I had never in my entire life imagined I would attend something like you. And not only did I go once, I went a second time. The first time was early in the relationship with R and i had no idea what I was getting myself into, or what to expect. We were overwhelmed, poorly prepared and came home thrilled but exhausted.

This year we went prepared. Instead of me telling you about Fest,  you should go to www.thefestfl.com and that will answer any questions you have. And if it doesn't then google TheFest and that really should answer any questions. We go because R loves music and I love him and it is a good experience for both of us.

Any way, we went, and had a blast.Friday we got up at 5 am and drove to Gainesville, and made it there in time to see:
Empty Orchestra
Greenland is Melting (one of my favorite bands at fest. Seriously)
Dirty Tactics
Red Collar
The Riot Before
Michael Claytor and his friends (one of my other favorite bands at fest)
Suicide Machines

We made it home just around 2 and fell asleep. I woke up once to let the other members of our apartment inside the building, but was asleep again in two minutes flat.

Saturday we woke up and started our day a little later and R and some of his friends went to see Red City Radio, but the show was so crowded they didn't get in. I blame the long line and the Reggae Shack. That is where we had a delicious lunch, but I think not only did their menu come from Jamaica, but so did their sense of time. While they went to try to see RCR, I went in search of more comfortable shoes and some toiletries we had forgotten. I found some great shoes at Payless, and spend the rest of my time much happier.

After meeting back up with the boy I decided to do what I do best: take a nap. I don't know what he did, I just know I felt a million times better for the 2.5 hours I spent asleep. We then made our way to see:

Banner Pilot
Coffee Project (love them!!)
Laura Stevenson (a sleeper favorite at fest)
Dead to me
Nato Coals and the Blue Diamond Band
God Damn Doo Wop Band
Smoke or Fire
Me first and the Gimme Gimmes.

Sunday we played it cool and easy, watched the Miami Dolphins beat the Cincinatti Bengals, and then headed out to see
PS Elliot
The Menzingers (what an awesome show. SO cool)
Mix Tapes
Lemuria
Chris Wollard and
Frank Turner.

Whew!

It was great fun, and a lot of really good music was seen. I suggest you look these bands up. You might be surprised at how much you like 'em!

No comments: