July 08, 2010

Up in the Air

As promised another movie review!

Up in the Air: A story about a man who lives his life avoiding commitment, relationships and his home town of Omaha.(Really, who can blame him on that front?)He gets to travel for a living. Kinda. He works for a company where his job is to help with "post employment relocation assistance" i.e. he fires people for a living.  But this is a leading man I could root for. He has goals in life, and since he is played by George Clooney, he's not hard on the eyes. He's funny. Obviously intelligent. Hard working, which some people would call dedicated.

While a very good movie, it was also predictable. Guy likes being bachelor. Check. Guy meets woman just like him. Check. Guy realizes maybe he doesn't like being a bachelor as much as he thinks he does and starts to woo said woman. Check. Life happens. Check. Movie ends.  Don't get me wrong, I really liked the movie; it made me laugh at the right parts, and stayed on this side of preachy. I easily could have been angered (as I so often am at movies where commitment is laughed at) but this movie didn't go down that road. as the filmmaker and director wanted, you start to form an attachment to him. To his life, to his desires, to what he is going through.

But for me to know something big was going to happen means it was pretty predictable, since no one would accuse me of being very observant in movies.  I very much willingly suspend my disbelief in movies most of the time and get caught up in the stories, losing focus on hints, foreshadowing or harbingers of any sort that would be obvious to most anyone else watching.

Side Note: I was very impressed by Anna Kendrick, whom up until now I only knew as Jessica from Twilight, and must admit, I thought she was shallow and annoying in that, and was pretty much shocked to learn she was really just acting that way, and that she is really talented. Had I never seen Twilight, I would never have thought of her as anything other than a really good actress. And don't get me wrong, I love the Twilight Saga, and have plans to have a date night to see Eclipse very soon!

Out of 5 stars, I'd give it 4.5, because I want to watch it again, I want to pay more attention, and I liked it. I knew how I felt about it right away.

No comments: