July 29, 2010

Tres no Trece

(I realize after I told R about this, it's not as funny in the retelling as it was when it happened but bear with me.)

Last night for dessert we went to Los Portales in the Renaissance shopping center and were going to just have dessert. We walked in, and since I work in a highly Spanish speaking environment, I tend to speak to people who's first language is Spanish *in Spanish*, I explained we were 3 people and just there for dessert.  The man said he would prepare a table for us, which I thought was a little weird, but whatever.

He motioned us around the corner where there was a table set up for 13 people and a booth. We choose to sit in the booth, but then a waiter came around the corner with 13 menus, 13 bowls of salsa, and 4 big bowls of chips.  At this point my mother and granddad are laughing, and the poor waiters are very confused. I explained, in English this time that there were only "tres" not "trece" and I was soo sooooo sorry for the misunderstanding.

My mom said she was going to tell them I don't really speak Spanish, but then they sent the only Non-Hispanic waiter over to our table, and I kept my mouth shut for the rest of the night. :/

No comments: