July 07, 2010

Movie Review x 2!

I watched a lot of movies over this long weekend: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, All About Steve, Twilight: New Moon,(don't judge!) Under the Tuscan Sun, but 2 in particular stood out; Let The Right One In, and Up in the Air.

Let The Right One In:

A love story about a 12 year old boy and girl who are both awkward outcasts in their home of Sweden. He is bullied, she is lonely. The story is about their friendship and eventual falling in love, and the difficulties they encounter as he is continuously bullied and dealing with his own self loathing and she is a vampire who is also dealing with who she is and who she wants to be.

First thoughts: Not really sure actually. It stuck with me, it was haunting, somewhat sweet and somewhat disturbing, but I cannot say that I enjoyed this film. I see that imdb.com is running the trailers for Let Me In, the American adaptation of it, so I will most likely want to see it as well and compare. I do worry that some of the haunting parts will be lost in an American adaptation, and that some of the parts where words were minimized to create the mood will be ruined, as I can't think of a good American adaptation of a foreign film, but I might be surprised.

What surprised me the most was in the midst of this lovely story about 2 kids falling in love is this incredible gory story about a vampire as well. There were times when it was hard to put those two stories together in the same movie.  Out of 5 stars, I'd give it 3 as it was better than average, but I can't say that I loved it.

Stay tuned for my next post about Up in the Air.

No comments: