July 25, 2010

Facebook Friends

Every once and while I go on a kick and add people o Facebook whom I knew in a life a long time ago. I add people from High School, college, maybe even middle school, and am somewhat amazed that they accept, since so much time has passed and so many things have changed.  Then there are the people who I look for from time to time can never find. 

And I have to  wonder if they are really not on Facebook, or if they have changed so much in their appearance that I would not recognize them anymore. We're all closing in on 30 sooner rather than later, and some of these people the last time I saw them was when I was 10. A lot can change about a person in, oh, 17 years.

I feel that the people I am friends with on Facebook are people I would say to "Yes, let's catch up in person." Or, "WOW!! I haven't seen you in ages. How are you?" I try to keep my facebook friends as people I actually care about in the real world as well.

What about you? Are you facebook friends (or Twitter or whatever) with people whom you know in person? Are you interested in their lives, would they recognize you in the street? Or are you friends with people you share interests with, but have never met in person?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you well know I am friends with many people, including some amazing co-workers but then again some people who I have never met! I love everyone!

- MP

Deena Warner said...

I generally only friend people who I have met face to face (with a couple exceptions). If I can say that I'd honestly like to know what that person is saying from day to day, I'll add them. I believe that 95% of my Facebook friends I would recognize on the street, and they would recognize me.

Anonymous said...

I actually know all the people I am "friends with" on FB. The older I get the more I believe that quality is better than quantity, whether it be wine, friends, social engagements, etc. Although I may not always agree with all the musings/opinions of my FB buddies---I can appreciate their viewpoint and their life experiences that have shaped their perspective.