August 23, 2008

Hubbard Glacier-Day five


Today we get to see the Hubbard Glacier!

for someone who doesn't like the cold that much, I'm totally loving all the glacier and iceberg
sightings!
this is a "day at sea" but really we're at the Hubbard Glacier/Yukatet Bay. Mom and I woke up really early (even with our drapes closed, once the sun rises, we really couldn't sleep past about 7, so we went for a walk on the promenade deck again, and saw some beautiful views of the Gulf of Alaska, and I don't know what else. we had breakfast, and by about 10 were headed into the Hubbard Glacier area. I really must pay more attention to where we're headed, but I was just so amazed at the scenery that I tuned everything else out. We headed up to deck 10 along with the rest of the fam, and started watching for the glacier. Being that this was a cruise, of course we had our drinks in hand, but also had split pea soup served at noon. This is a Dutch tradition, I don't know if just for the glacier, or for any sailing; either way, I like it! We took loads of pictures, and the boat slowed down to a crawl to pick its way through the various ice bergs (yes, really) to get us close to the glacier.

The water out at sea had been pretty blue, but the closer we got to the glacier, it turned a milky green (caused by the pressure from the glacier crushing the land below, i think) We saw
lots of bits break off the glacier; called calving, I think) and heard what the Tlingit (pronounced Klinket) tribe call "white thunder"; the thunderous roar of the glacier breaking apart. It was amazing. the glacier was so blue in some places, white in others, and to me, the best part was you could see different lines running through it, much like lines in rock denoting the many years of sediment (or what
ever it is in ice). It was amazing. The boat slowly swung around so the other side could get a good look at the glacier, and we were then presented with a completely different glacier to look at, separated by some bit of land.

Then the real fun started, G had complained about not feeling well, but was urged to come up to lunch with the rest of us. Not a good idea, because she did, and then got quite ill, and had to be taken to the ships doctor for an anti-nausea medicine. She was quarantined to the room for the rest of the day, though mom and gdad suspected it was just over-indulgence.
Once we left the glacier headed to Sitka, the waves and wind picked up, and we were rocking a lot. Mom and I tried to rest some, but even my acupuncture wasn't making the rolling disappear. We headed down to dinner around 7 with granddad and T, and I must admit, the soup, coke and being much lower helped immensely. I felt way better; good enough to purchase an after dinner drink with a collectible shot glass. D joined us too, but didn't eat much, and he and T went back to the room shortly thereafter.

Mom, Granddad and I went to the Philippine Crew show, which was a riot. Seriously, some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen in my life. The had songs (sung by the crew, and I admit, the singers were very talented) but what made it so funny was there apparently aren't enough women for the paring for the dances. So what did they do...dressed the males as woman and made them dance. The costumes for the dancers (the men as women) consisted of skirts and tops, stuffed with oranges to make them more feminine. And when they bent over, the oranges would fall out and roll across the stage...
But it was great to see how much pride the crew took in putting this show together, and was great fun to watch.

After this we went to bed, where I watched Gone with the Wind, and Rocky, because I
couldn't get to sleep thanks to the rolling of the boat. it was not my favorite time on the ship, and I kept thinking..."Am i going to have to get dressed and go down to deck 2? I hope not". I finally fell asleep around 4 am, and we had to get off the boat around 8 or so...so I was very tired the next day.

No comments: